Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Would You Buy These?


 A white ironstone pitcher & basin
 
Doesn't it look quite at home here on the dry sink...

While out junking at the Salvation Army the other day I found these two unmatched pieces of ironstone pottery, a set, sort of, a wash basin and pitcher.  When I first saw it I couldn't believe my eyes. I haven't seen one of these in a thrift store or garage, yard or estate sales in an extremely long time. And here was a very large and beautiful white ironstone set. Just what I've been collecting of late.

But when I made my way over to the set, I seen why it was still sitting there waiting for someone to come along and take it home.  The pitcher had a nasty chip in the spout area and the basin had a crack about 3 inch's down from the top edge (but still very intact and stable).


My first thought was, you should only buy great pieces...then I thought no, you should only invest in great pieces.  You can buy cracked and chipped pieces as long as your not paying to much and at $5.25 (with discount $4.72) this set was going home with me. You could arrange a towel over the crack, fill the pitcher with flowers, set up above eye level...and viola! You've not broken the bank with your not so pristine, but still decorative items.

The pitcher is probably quite a bit older, late 1800's to early 1900's and  has a pretty black ink pottery mark of a lion wearing a crown an upright oval with a crown topper, then a unicorn. The word WARRANTED above and Princess below. This mark was used by American pottery companies to look like English pottery companies to confuse unknowing buyers, and it was perfectly legal. WARRANTED in England meant the pottery supplied the "Royal House" for at least 3 to 5 years and is a desirable company to purchase from.


The pottery mark as far as I could research could be for the East Trenton Pottery Company or the Empire pottery Company. Both were in Trenton, New Jersey, along with about 150 more potteries and a lot of them used the lion and unicorn in some fashion. Many of the potters had immigrated from England, another reason as to why American marks were distinctively English looking.

The basin has a potters mark from D E McNicol of Clarksburg, West Virginia. This company produced toilet ware and hotel ware, from 1914 until 1954.

Isn't the crazing wonderful?



The edge of the bowl is quite simple, which makes it easier to pair with the pitcher, which is more decorative.




 
Absolutely love the ornate handle...


 
 

I also found this chair for $7.50...it was just so cute I couldn't resist. 
Don't know if I'm going to leave as is or paint it. 
Chairs are my greatest weakness!!! 

I'll end the post with a few festive pictures...



 

 Thank you for popping in!!!
Happy Hunting and Gathering~~~







3 comments:

  1. I would have bought it in a heart beat, especially if it was for me and not for resale. it is gorgeous and such a great find...I have not seen one in ages either!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, what a great find and wonderful price.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, it's just lovely. So glad you decided to buy it, I would have too. Who could pass up such a beautiful piece at such a good price? The chip and crack just add loads of character, I think. Great find.

    Hugs,
    ❤️Ana

    ReplyDelete

So glad you visited and left a comment, I enjoy hearing from you. Mickie