Saturday, June 2, 2012

Booth Space for Rent

PACKING IT UP

Today I cleaned out my booth at Black Cat Antique Mall. I have been there for 2 1/2 years and before that I had my own small vintage shop for 2 years.  I live in an area that has been hit very hard by the economic downturn of the last 4 years.  I can no longer afford to subsidize this venture. Being in the vintage business was something I had wanted to do for a very long time. And I tried so very hard to hang on - but I just couldn't seem to catch a break from this wretched economy.

I will miss my big booth it was about 12 x 12 space and I had it "filled to the gills".  I had all the shabby chic, and girly fufu I could find and put in one space! I do so like looking for those wonderful shabby finds. It was a lot of fun organizing and decorating the space, I have become quite knowledgeable in "Fluffing" a space.

I will be moving a few things into the owners booth as she has offered to share space with me.  She has been working on a black and white booth. So we pulled out anything from my space that fit this color scheme.  From my space we moved  two very nice, tall black wire shelving units that resemble bird cages and are wonderful to display on and two black wire mannequin's for dressing up. I had already started refinishing my furniture pieces in white and the ones in my booth moved to the shared space.  And as you know from my post "I Sanded all Day" that I am working on a lot more white pieces.

It's a new direction for me but I'm game for the challenge. It will be fun buying for the space for I'll know exactly what to look for. Almost anything will go - just as long as it's black or white. We had our "1st" sale today, a pair of cross stitched silhouette's that I had contributed to the space. So hopefully were off and running!

I will still have my tiny little space (4' by about 11') a four shelf display cabinet and the wall space above it, at Antiques and Collectibles of Coos Bay.  I will still do my beloved shabby chic here along with the sewing and craft items (I have been so inspired to create reading all your blogs).  I can squeeze in a couple of pieces of small furniture items on one side. I have already downsized considerably here. And now I fear this one is in danger of having to go also!  The theory that you should not have all your eggs in one basket isn't really working for me. My sales are very low here also.  But this space is fairly reasonable for we all take turns working a couple days of the month and that helps offset the space rent. We'll see how June goes.

I have met some very wonderful people at both these malls and my own shop. The experience has brought new knowledge to my life. I understand more thoroughly what it takes to run a business and what I would have done differently if I had started over. I support and appreciate the small businesses in my community.
.
And lastly- I contacted a business in a neighboring county that has recently started up and shares the same name as mine to see if they would like to purchase my business sign. I have come to the realization that I will not be going back into my own business and it's time to let certain things go.


If she decides to buy it I shall go and visit often. 

I'm sad and a bit depressed-but I shall pick up my skirts, fluff them out and carry on, for new adventures await on the 'morrow!!!  Thank you for letting me share my thoughts from this day.

1 comment:

  1. Don't be sad. Sometimes you have to do what you have to do. This may be the start of bigger things. Best wishes, my friend.

    ReplyDelete

So glad you visited and left a comment, I enjoy hearing from you. Mickie