When the grand kids come in from outside they just "flop" down on it~~~hence a few more of the stains. So I knew traditional fitted reupholstering was not a smart idea. I was going to need something I could just remove and throw in the laundry. Slip covers??? I find the challenge of a slip cover just as daunting as complete reupholstering.
This is a large piece and I knew this was going to be an involved makeover so I really wanted to be sure of my fabric choice. So I procrastinated~~~ And dreamed~~~
|Photo from Victoria magazine March 2002|
First I couldn't decide on fabric, then I read all about using drop cloths to recover with. That sounded like my kind of fabric and my thinking had gravitated to a more neutral covering. So, decision made!
I purchased a new piece of foam and a couple of drop cloths. When I opened them I wasn't that excited about the color, so I thought some more. Then I read how to lighten them with bleach, did that~~~After laundering it became apparent that the texture, weight and color is different between the two (these were from the same manufacturer and bought at the same time). One developed small thread bare holes while the other came out with rust spots. I needed both to complete the project. And the color is not where I want it to be...CREAMY not greeeny!!!
Then I found this bedskirt...oh my wouldn't that look lovely with the drop cloths...well, NO it didn't. Were back to the color issue again! These might look as if they match...but not in real time.
So I pushed it to the back burner while a chair in the living room played host to an ever growing pile of fabrics. I had also picked up a couple of white flat sheets to use for cutting and fitting templates. You'll also notice a rolled bundle at the back...well that is a mattress cover...they make wonderful covers for in between your foam and outer fabric.
Well this weekend I decided the pile was going to be put away. Heck, maybe the chaise lounge should just go away too!!! In the end I couldn't resist just one more try to see if I could make it work. And this is what came about~~~
YES! I used T-pins and string to complete the fitting...this is only semi-permanent!!!
It's not what I want fabric wise, I'm thinking more of a canvas type material. I still want the floral, floor length, flounce around the perimeter. And I definitely want a slip cover. But I'll use this for now. I like how it brightens the area as I transition to a lighter palette. Also I'll get an idea how it's really going to work with the grand-kids. And hopefully I'll be more inspired to finish the project!!! But for now~~~
I added my vintage Belgium tapestry pillow to pretty it up~~~
"The Fortune Teller"
I made this pillow almost two years ago for my booth space...I thought it would be a quick seller...but alas, no one seemed to want to pay $78.00 for it, which I thought to be a reasonable price for it's size (22" x 22") and being uniquely one of a kind.
To make it I added two rows of lace (3" width each) one is an off white crochet cotton and the other is a black polyester. And I backed it with a gorgeous bronze, satiny fabric. Inside is a wonderful down insert. Took quite awhile to find one that was large enough for the tapestry, as I didn't want to alter the size by cutting. I wanted as much of that lovely pattern as possible.
Well, at least the pillow is done!!!
Thanks for stopping by~~~
Happy Hunting and Gathering!!!