Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Today I Sanded

Part One of the Marathon Trilogy


The weather here has turned a bit drizzly and cool so I have left my gardening to fairer weather and moved to the shop for a marathon sanding session.  I pulled quite a few pieces out of the garage, got my sanders and supplies went up to my shop and spent the day sanding.  I got a lot done!


Here are a pair of chairs that I have painted a few times. I am now going for white with stained seats. I sprayed them with an aerosol spray paint but didn't like the glossy finish it also was rough in places. You can't tell from the pics but they are two colors of white because I sprayed them at different times thinking I was using the same paint.  So they have been hanging around for awhile unfinished.


Next I sanded this little magazine stand that I picked up for $5.00 at a local swap meet last month. There are pockets on the sides for holding magazines and newspapers.





Then on to a small hutch that can sit on a dresser or a small table. I got it for $5.00 at the Salvation Army along with a step stool. 

I've had this little guy for about 4 to 5 years. It has been in my store, in my booths and in my house.  I like the style, but that green has finally got to go.  Bye Bye Green!!!
Next up is the little stool you see on top below. Just got it the other day at the Salvation Army for $2.50. I had to secure the top better and give it a light sanding.  Boy this little guy is heavy!  But I think the grand kids will like it for standing on when helping cook. It has foot room and is very stable.


..And finally this one, which is an Ethan Allen piece that I got at Goodwill for $6.99. It has been hanging around in the shop for years, like three years. Well a while back I was in the shop and spotted it and I thought hmmmm! I bet that would look good painted and on the wall above my refrigerator. I don't have a cupboard up above because it's just to high to be practical.  But a display piece like this is a necessity!!!

                        And here you have the grand finale on my marathon sanding session!


Tomorrow I get to try out my new, still in the box, Command Max power paint sprayer. I just had to get one of these after reading about them here at The Polka Dot Closet.  Cans of aerosol spray paint are just to expensive for large jobs. With the new sprayer I will save time and money. I use Benjamin Moore premium flat latex. I find this finish works best for waxing. More on what I use and how for waxing and painting  in "How I Finish and Embellish" Part Three of the Marathon Trilogy.


Stay tuned for Part Two " And I Sprayed Everything White" of the Marathon Trilogy!!!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, you will have to let me know how you like the paint sprayer. The thinning was a pain the first time, but since the first time, now I just guess, it is pretty thin though. I felt like I had just defeated the spray can gods!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete

So glad you visited and left a comment, I enjoy hearing from you. Mickie